top of page

Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station

If you served at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River in North Carolina and had contact with contaminated drinking water, you may be eligible for VA disability benefits. Scientific and medical evidence has shown an association between exposure to contaminants in drinking water and the development of certain diseases.

Veterans should seek the assistance of an Accredited VA Disability Advocate because we provide expert guidance through the complex VA claims process, ensuring all necessary evidence is gathered and presented effectively. Our advocates are trained to identify and link service-related conditions, increasing the likelihood of a successful claim. Additionally, we offer personalized support and representation, helping veterans navigate appeals and secure the benefits they deserve.


Plan of Action for Filing a Claim:

Verify Service Period: Check your military records to confirm your service period at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River. The qualifying period is from August 1, 1953, to December 31, 1987.

Qualifying Presumptive Conditions: Presumptive service connection allows the VA to assume that certain conditions are linked to service without the need for extensive evidence. For Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River, the presumptive conditions include:

  • Bladder cancer

  • Kidney cancer

  • Liver cancer

  • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

  • Multiple myeloma

  • Parkinson's disease

  • Leukemia

  • Aplastic anemia

  • Systemic sclerosis/scleroderma


The VA will only accept claims for these conditions, which have been scientifically linked to contaminated water exposure at Camp Lejeune and MCAS New River, all other conditions not on this list will be rejected.

Next Best Steps 


  • Gather Medical Records: Compile medical records that document your diagnosis, along with any additional evidence that links your condition to service at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River.

  • Nexus Letter: Secure a nexus letter from a qualified healthcare provider to establish a direct connection between your condition and service-related exposure to contaminated water.

  • File a Claim: Use VA Form 21-526EZ, "Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits." Attach supporting documents, including medical records, a nexus letter, and service records.

  • Consult with a Veteran-Accredited Agent. They can guide you through the process, help with paperwork, and advocate on your behalf.

  • Prepare for a VA Exam: Be ready to discuss your condition and exposure history during the VA medical examination (C&P exam).

  • Appeal if Denied: If your claim is denied, review the decision letter carefully. You can file an appeal, either by submitting a Supplemental Claim, a Higher-Level Review, or by appealing directly to the Board of Veterans' Appeals.

  • Stay Engaged: Follow up on the status of your claim, continue medical treatment, and provide any additional information the VA may require.

The VA Disability Advocates Main Office is Located in Las Vegas, NV. We Represent Veterans throughout the United States. 702-209-5722 

bottom of page